When it comes to getting a perm, the last thing you want is for it to become ruined. Sweat can be a big enemy of hair—it can cause it to look greasy and can definitely cause it to become frizzy. So the big question is, does sweat ruin a perm?
The short answer is, it depends. A perm, a permanent curl, is created by a chemical reaction between thioglycolates and ammonium hydroxide in the hair. This chemical reaction is what creates the shape and it’s quite strong, so it’s not likely to be undone by sweat.
However, that doesn’t mean that sweat won’t affect your perm. Sweat definitely has the power to make a perm look greasy and, if it accumulates enough, can cause it to become frizzy. Sweat can also have an effect on the health of your perm too. If you’re not careful about washing away sweat soon after you get a perm, you’ll be left with build-up and residue that can weaken your perm and make it look dry and brittle.
So, does sweat ruin a perm? Not necessarily, but it can definitely have an effect on the way it looks and how long it lasts. It’s important to take steps to protect your perm from sweat and work to keep it healthy if you want it to last.
How to Keep Sweat From Ruining a Perm?
Maintaining a temperature in the room that is pleasant both at home and at work will help you prevent excessive sweating, which can damage curls by penetrating the hair. If you are feeling overheated and are sweating as a result, you should drink something cold and go outdoors into the fresh air. You can also use a hair dryer that has a cool air jet and briefly blast the air about your head to cool off to stop yourself from sweating. This will prevent you from sweating. If you do not have access to a cold-air hair dryer, you can instantly lower the temperature of your head and prevent yourself from perspiring by standing in front of a fan. Here are some more tips.
- Avoid strenuous physical activity: If you can, try to avoid activities that will make you sweat heavily, as this can cause your perm to become limp and lose its shape.
- Use a sweat-proof hair product: Look for a product that is specifically designed to protect your hair from sweat and humidity. Some options include hair sprays, gels, or mousses that are formulated to help hold your perm in place.
- Pin your perms: Before exercising, pin your perms to keep them in place throughout the exercise. Remove the pins only after the scalp is completely dry. To keep this part of your hair smooth, wear a satin band around your hairline.
- Wear a headband or scarf: If you know you’re going to be sweating a lot, try wearing a headband or scarf to keep the sweat off your forehead and out of your hair.
- Wash your hair frequently: Sweat can build up in your hair and cause it to become greasy and lose its shape. To keep your perm looking fresh, make sure to wash your hair frequently and use a good quality shampoo and conditioner to keep it healthy and hydrated.
- Dry your hair thoroughly: After you wash your hair, make sure to dry it thoroughly. Use a towel to gently blot your hair and then let it air dry or use a blow dryer on a low heat setting to finish the job.
By following these tips, you can help keep your perm looking great even on hot, sweaty days.